Neil Gaiman Is Coming To Decatur!
(Bold face type indicates clarifications added since this was initially posted.)
Little Shop of Stories is maniacally thrilled to announce that Neil Gaiman will be speaking at co-host Agnes Scott College on Monday, December 14, 2009, at 6 p.m.
For the unaware, Mr. Gaiman is an author who is active in a variety of forms of storytelling, including adult fiction and non-fiction, children’s books, graphic novels, and film. His latest work is Odd and the Frost Giants, a children’s chapter book.
As fans of Little Shop know, Neil sent out a challenge to independent bookstores to throw a Halloween Party themed to his Newbery Award-winning The Graveyard Book. We threw such a frightening scare into everyone who came to Little Shop’s party that we were named a grand prize winner and awarded this visit. (Congratulations to co-winner McNally Robinson Booksellers in Winnipeg!) In return, Neil and Harper Collins Publishers have won our everlasting and undead affection.
This will be a ticketed event. You must have a ticket to get in. A ticket will guarantee you a seat. If you arrive at the event without a ticket, you are not guaranteed admittance. In fact, the probability of getting in without a ticket are virtually nil. Because we want to accommodate our fantastic customers who played such an integral role in getting this event, but at the same time acknowledge Neil's hard-core fans from outside the Atlanta area (some of whom are willing to travel hundreds of miles), here's the plan:
* On Monday, November 30th, tickets will be available to those who come in person to Little Shop of Stories. There is a limit of one ticket per person, so if you would like to bring your entire family to see Neil, bring your entire family into Little Shop to get tickets. As per Neil’s specific request, tickets are absolutely free.
* On Monday, December 7th, a minimum of 100 tickets will be made available through either telephone reservations during normal store hours starting at 10 a.m. (404-373-6300) and ending at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, 10-8 on Tuesday and Wednesday, 10-9 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and 12-8 on Sunday, or by in-person request, and we will continue to take reservations for tickets during the days leading up to the event until all tickets are gone. When calling, leaving a voice mail message is not sufficient. You must talk to an actual person who will take your name. No reservations will be accepted via E-mail or any other form of communication other than specified above. You can then pick up your ticket at Little Shop during regular store hours on any day between December 7th though 2 p.m. on December 14th. After that time, you will have yet to get your ticket at the will call table at Presser Hall.
* Doors will open on Monday, December 14th at 5 p.m. at Agnes Scott College’s Presser Hall. You must have a ticket. However, there will be no reserved seating; first come, first seated. Presser Hall is located on South McDonough Street, just south of East College Avenue, in Decatur. A parking facility is located on the opposite side of McDonough.
* Following his presentation, Neil will stay and sign books. Due to the large number of people expected, he will sign and personalize only one book per individual. However, Mr. Gaiman has offered to sign and personalize two books should at least one of them be purchased from Little Shop. (Save those receipts! You've got to have them.)
* Mr. Gaiman’s books are available for purchase at Little Shop of Stories. (This includes picture books, children's chapter books, and adult titles.) Additionally, we will be conducting sales at Presser Hall prior to and following the event. A limited number of signed books will be for sale at that time.
* We look forward to seeing you on December 14th. It should be a fantastic evening!